Here are some resources that may be useful to those working in Title IX, student conduct, and/or conflict resolution. As of April 2017, all of my base presentations are currently undergoing re-write, and should be posted to this site by August 2017. Please contact me if you are looking for specific resources. This section is broken up into videos, power point presentations, and links.
Video: An Introduction to Managing Conflict
This is a 2003 instructional video on conflict and styles of managing conflict. It is available for noncommercial educational use with appropriate citation. Citation: Olshak, R. (Producer) and Thomas, T. (Director). (2003). An introduction to managing conflict [educational video]. Illinois State University.
Power Point Presentations
The following are pdf files of Power Point presentations given by Rick. For access to the original ppt file, please send an e-mail request.
2015 –TIX Presentation (2015) (used with numerous audiences). Please note this presentation has not been updated to include the April 2015 guidance, Newer versions will be posted soon.
2013 – Meeting of Midwest Deans presentation on Title IX. Delivered October 7, 2013.
2013 – Central Illinois Volunteer Association professional development speech; CIVA 2013. Delivered February 15, 2013.
2012 – McLean County Chamber of Commerce keynote speech; Chamber of Commerce, 2012. This keynote speech was delivered at the EDUCate conference on May 17, 2012.
2010 – NASPA Pre-conference Presentation; Crafting our legacy through conflict resolution systems. This three hour presentation is intended as a companion to the chapter on needs assessment appearing in Reframing Campus Conflict (Schrage & Giacomini). The program also included some basic introduction to conflict materials.
2008 – Yes you can: Designing and implementing collaborative, sustainable conflict management processes on campus. This program was presented at the 2008 Donald D. Gehring Academy for Student Conduct Administration conflict resolution specialist track. It served as the precursor for the two chapters later authored for Reframing Campus Conflict (Schrage & Giacomini). Portions of the program also serve as a rough outline for needs assessment consultations.
Undated – Mastering mediation. This is the companion presentation to the basic mediation training program, typically offered over a long weekend. It includes lecture points, small group exercises and role plays.
Undated – An introduction to conflict resolution. This is the basic outline of a standard small group workshop on the basics of conflict resolution. It includes two exercises and covers the five basic styles of conflict resolution. Newer versions of this will also be posted soon.
Higher Education Association Links:
- ATIXA – Association for Title IX Administrators
- ASCA – Association for Student Conduct Administration
- NABITA – National Behavioral Intervention Team Association
- NASPA – Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
- ACPA – College Student Educators International
Higher Education Job Search Links:
Higher Education Resources:
- Campus Conflict Resolution Resources – older campus conflict resolution site that is no longer updated, but maintains good information
- John Lowery – Co-author of the second edition of the Model Code, John is one of the premier experts in higher education law
- NCHERM – The National Center For Higher Education Risk Management
- NCHERM Group Code Model Wiki – a model code of conduct wiki project from NCHERM
- Reslife.net – online resources and training for housing professionals
- Student Affairs.com – online stduent affairs community
- U.S. Department of Education Family Policy Compliance Office
- U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights